BCP Council (Bournemouth): Matt Annen is pleased to have received outline planning permission for the demolition of an existing house and erection of a block of 9 flats with cycle & bin stores. The scheme follows a previous consent on the adjacent site for 9 flats (which we also secured).
Despite this clear precedent on the adjacent site, the scheme attracted 65 objections which meant that the application had to go before the planning committee for determination. Matt presented his deputation in support of the scheme at August’s planning committee and Members supported the case officer’s positive recommendation and approved the application.
The Members agreed with he findings of the case officer’s report namely that the proposal would:
• Result in redevelopment of a site occupied by a house providing a replacement apartment development of similar density, design appearance, scale, layout, & impact as that replacement apartment extant development recently approved on the adjoining site to which significant weight should be given in the determination of the current application
• Make a positive contribution to meeting housing & social need by providing a mix of dwelling types at a sustainable development location
• Would result in dwellings that provide a good and acceptable living environment for the occupiers.
• Would result in development that would not be materially harmful to the living conditions of existing residents.
• Would result in development that would not place a parking demand on the highway, would provide on-site parking to improve off-site parking pressures, support sustainable transport behaviour & provide a vehicular access that would not be materially harmful to the highway safety or uses of the highway.
• Would provide a development that would not be harmful to the built environment and established character and appearance of development
Very frustratingly for our client this application process took almost a year from registration of the application to the final decision because of the Council’s planning department having a severe lack of staff and having serious backlog and capacity issues. Unfortunately this is a trend (severely delayed application process) which we are seeing is getting worse and not better post-Covid.
If you are looking for someone to maximise the development potential of your site and guide your planning application smoothly through the planning system, be it complex or straightforward, why not contact a Pure Town Planning consultant to find out how we can assist?